<VV> Re: VirtualVairs Digest, Vol 22, Issue 85--Florida Mis-info

Taruffi57 at aol.com Taruffi57 at aol.com
Tue Nov 28 20:46:19 EST 2006

In a message dated 11/28/2006 3:06:15 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,

The  atmosphere in Florida is akin to vaporised salt water and will eat up
any  ferrous material.  Add that to hurricanes, heat and daily rain and  you
have a fungus paradise.  None of those conditions are good for  Corvairs so
all of them should really be removed (rescued) from  there.  A job for the
military?

RonH
-----------------------
Dear Ron,

I don't know what you have been smoking but your assumptions about Florida
sound like you have been watching WAY too much major network TV news.
(a) the salty air ONLY occurs very close to the oceans; and yes, it WILL  eat
up especially steel, but also, to a lesser extent, aluminum.  I know  where
an Ultravan is sitting about 75 yds. from the beach south of Daytona and  it
has bad corrosion. No problem- a short distance inland.
(b) longtime Floridians don't worry a lot about hurricanes since the  chances
of being hard hit by one are slim.  Yes, we did have a spate of  them in '04,
but that year was definitely an outlier......and wasn't "Andrew" in  Aug.
1992?
(c)  Nov. into May are usually very pleasant - although we  may get 2 - 3
days in the high 20's and some 85 degree days in there too.   June through early
Oct. are A/C only - everywhere and all the time.   It's a helluva lot better
than wearing coats 6 months of the year.
Another thing:  most everything stays green here except for a short  time
each year.
(d)  RAIN:  We DON'T have rain daily.  We do get it from  late June into
August and again to a lesser extent in Sep't.  It's VERY  sporadic the rest of the
year.  In fact, we are prone to having several dry  spells each year.
(e)  MOLD:  the only time you have mold problems is when you let  a car sit
outside - either in the open or even with a carport roof over  it.  You WILL
get slow mold growth over a long period of time.  In a  garage, no problem.
(f)  Corvairs leaving the State:  There are likely more Corvairs  in Florida
than anywhere else with maybe Calif. or Texas being the  exception.

Living in COLD is reason enough to tolerate the Florida heat and this  is a
great place to live.
MUCH racing going on here also.

Joe Dunlap
Lady lake, Fl.
1 hour north of Orlando (center of the State)