<VV> Rookie Corvair Driver

Ken Campbell deltainc at grm.net
Wed Nov 29 18:22:15 EST 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: "Connie Brummer" <hanssmom at cox.net>

> Ok guys, I drove Veruca to work today and realize I need more education in
> driving her.  Any advice on when to downshift, what RPM to be at in city
> traffic, up and down long, sloping residential streets, etc.? > Connie
Brummer

> 1965 Corsa Vert 140/4
*********
Hi Connie;  heh heh, you are slowly being pulled toward the dark side;  I do
believe your presence will be expected at the next ICE Marshalltown fun peel
out and skid event.  There is a movement to rent it for another half day, ya
know ...

Just some general comments:  with your setup, the vair engines are prone to
chug and cough and protest when lugging them at under 2000 rpm.  Coasting at
this rpm is ok, but TrueVairDrivers never get caught just coasting !!  You
would be required to turn in your custom sun glasses !!!

So to be ready for the next corner, it is always good to already be in the
gear you will be needing to pull out of that next corner ...

Follows a few suggesions for your review:

Over Agressive:  shift up at 5000 rpm, speed:  25, 50, 75 .    Easy to
remember.
Sporty Agressive:  shift up at 4000 rpm, speed:  20, 40, 60 .
Going to WallyWorld, no tickets:  shift up at 3000 rpm, 15,30, 45

For Downshifting, on level roads, pick your desired current agressiveness
from the table above and if going slower in top, 2nd, or 3rd, shift down to
that gear that brings your rpms above the level you wish.  Corollary:: keep
your rpms' above 2500, or drive your Minivan.

Oh, most late vair 4 speeds don[t have real good smooth shifts from 2nd to
1st, so when you get around to it, you might practice double clutching from
2 to 1 ...  way cool to the neighbors for pulling from your front street
into your driveway (g)...

********
Since we are entering the Iowa Friendly Frozen Water season, be aware that
NOTHING WORKS ON ICE ... even vairs, ------ if you get on icy roads, don't
go faster than you want to hit a light pole ....  if you do lose it on ice,
don[t give up ... usually the vair will just swing around and go backwards
fairly straight down the road... just steer it and ... ok, pray and steer it
... that's why God put such a big rear window in the Vairs ...

Hope the above is of some help; ken campbell, backwards in iower