<VV> Pertronix - Boy Am I Messed Up Now!

Bill H. gojoe283 at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 29 23:30:31 EST 2006

                                       B"H

well, people, I decided to try to find a 12v wire to
connect the Pertonix red wire to.  So, I followed the
instructions in the Communique, to trace the existing
positive coil wire back to where it connects to "main
chassis harness connector."  This appears to be a
multi-plug with about 8 or 10 wires on it, some very
thick red, some thinner.

I then disconnected the multi-plug and checked voltage
on the pins for 12 volts.  I found what looked like
the yellow coil wire, but there was no voltage at it
with the ignition ON.  I tried the insulated wire,
same thing.  No voltage at the iginition switch side
of the connector.

So finally I found a blue wire that showed a full 12 V
when the ignition is turned on (also around 4 vdc when
the key is turned to ACC.  There was a second wire
with the same result).  SO I tapped into the blue
wire, ran a new wire around to the coil.  Then I
plugged the multi-plug back in.  Guess what happened?

When I turned the ignition on, the new wire measured
only ONE volt!  When I disconnected the
multi-connector, this wire went back to 12V.  Puzzled,
I started the engine (I hadn't touched the Pertronix
connections yet) and that new wire showed 12V.

When I shut the engine off it went back to 1 volt.  In
any case, I figured that since the new wire showed 12v
when the engine was running it was ok to use it, so I
removed the red Pertronx wire from the coil and
attached it to the new wire.  The car started fine and
did seem to run a bit better than before.

I shut it off and proceeded to insulate and tighten
all the connections.  Then, I tried to start the
engine again...

Nothing.

The dashboard warning lights came on, power to the
dash, but when I turned to key to START nothing
happened!  Not even a click.  It was as if the starter
was disconnected from the electrical system.

I played with the wires, measured the new wire, got 1
volt.  I tried the car again, and it started right up.

I shut it off, waited a minute or so, and tried it
again.

Nothing.

Figuring that the wire must be bad, I reconnected the
Pertronix to the negative terminal on the coil.  Tried
to start her.

Nothing.

Tried again, and she started right up.

I don't know what I've done, but I've never had a
problem like this before.

I removed the wire and tap completely and put
everything back the way it was.  I tried to start the
car.

Nothing.

Waited a minute or so, tried again, she started right
up.  Now I'm afraid to drive the car until I can find
a definite cause, but I don't have enough knowlege to
know when power is applied to the starter and what to
check in the NO START condition.

Can anyone help me?  I'm baffled by the intermittent
nature of this problem.

Thanks!...Bill Hershkowitz