<VV> Petronics - Boy am I messed up now!

LastHamlet lasthamlet at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 30 09:33:10 EST 2006

I have to agree, the correct wiring diagram is good to
have. and taking voltage readings with the harness
plug undone will not help you.
In my 67 I believe it was the yellow wire at that
connection, but can verify this evening if needed.
Best way to find you the correct wire is to make a
dummy wire, with a blade(flat male connector) on one
end, and you can leave it frayed on the other end, or
put another blade connector.(Wire needs to be only 6
inches  long, at best, and make it a 10 or 12 gage
wire) This gives you a wire that will slide into any
one of the connections at the connector itself,
without harming the harness or the connector.
 With the other end being for your meter to accurately
read and clip to. Then you can see what happens during
the crank, start and operations of that particular
connection. Point is, you want one that will be a 12V,
but not on while key is off (Switched, as it is
called.)
(Tip: plug or connect your new unit up to the back
side of that engine harness connector, NOT the side
facing the front of the car. Also, testing is to be
done on that back side as well.)

That was a very good article in the Commuinque, and I
believe it was written by Mr.Schrug... I was glad it
was published.

Hope this helps,
Danny Barber

I then  disconnected the multi-plug and checked
voltage
on the pins for 12  volts.  I found what looked like
the yellow coil wire, but there was  no voltage at it
with the ignition ON.  I tried the insulated  wire,
same thing.  No voltage at the iginition switch side
of the  connector.

Bill,

With the big connector disconnected there's no wiring
from the battery
the ignition switch or the rest of the front of the
car. Therefore
there
shouldn't be any voltage. According to my 1966 wiring
diagram
(shameless plug)  the
yellow wire is the driver's side brake/turn signal.
The only blue wire
is  for
the warning lights. Since the connector was apart, it
shouldn't have
any
voltage. Of course all of these colors are based on
the 66 diagram.
What you
really need is the correct 1969 diagrams (I don't have
them yet).

Ned