<VV> Christmas Lights

Arjay Morgan n3lkz at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 30 23:57:14 EST 2006

  I guess I didn't express the Christmas lights scheme clearly enough, so here's another try:

  The power source is a fully charged 12 volt battery separate from the Corvair electrical system. It's nestled in the well of the luggage compartment in its own battery box. No attachment to the car's alternator.

  Attached to it is a homebuilt inverter using a pair of TO-25 transistors on a huge heat sink. It puts out a square wave waveform @ 110 volts and will allow a current draw of about 500 watts.

  The chaser lights don't give a fig about the square waves. only rotating armature devices care.

  The inverter is inefficient....it draws about two amps to create about a half amp of AC. Yes, the battery will run down, but since it's a separate battery  the only downside is that I'll haul a dead battery home. There are no circuit breakers in this system, just brute force. I know better than to ask it to deliver more current than it's designed for and the best load tester is a hand on the heat sink

  I'm sure the 110 VAC output could be dangerous to an old man with a bad heart standing in a puddle of salt water with a wire in each hand, but I was taught practical electricity by Harry Thomas who always checked if a light socket was 'live' by sticking his finger into it. Yes, you get a shock, but the electricity only flows from the tip of your finger to about the second phalange, not across your chest.

  The system has been tested --- clip inverter to battery, plug in lights, flip switch, watch chaser lights --- chase.

  You could probably do the same thing with a store-bought inverter, but it would cost a lot more and be plagued with circuit breakers because the average bozo who buy 'em figures he can just plug in his sump pump and worry no more.

  hope that explains what is a decent, simple, kluge it is.

  Arjay

  Message: 6