<VV> Synthetic Oil

Bill Elliott corvair at fnader.com
Mon Oct 2 12:54:48 EDT 2006

This is discussed quite a bit here... so I'll try to summarize.

While there is some concern about running the latest generation of
synthetics with the starburst symbol, the general agreement is that
synthetic oils are a very good idea for turbocharged vehicles (less
coking in the turbo bearing)... and won't hurt anything in any other
Corvairs, but there is not agreement whether synthetics provide enough
extra benefits to outweigh the extra costs. There is also not agreement
on whether extended oil changes (like offered by some synthetic oil
marketing) are acceptable or not. There is not much agreement on
synthetics causing new leaks, but most folks seem to agree that if your
car currently leaks, it will leak the same or possibly a bit more with
synthetics.

That being said, here's where I stand. A decent quality synthetic is
worth the extra cost over modern "dino" oil, but the gap is closing as
dino oils now carry a load of synthetic bits. Either are far better than
what your engine was designed for. I don't think the ultra-premium oils
(Amsoil) are worth paying extra for (especially since I do not support
the  use of long oil-change intervals), though I do use their gearbox
oil. In Corvairs I have not seen new leaks started by synthetic oil, but
I have witnessed that in British cars (where I still use it anyway).

I run Castrol fully synthetic 5W-50 in all of my Corvairs. I have been
extremely happy with the performance in extremely cold weather,
extremely hot weather, towing, and on the track.

YMMV

Bill Elliott