<VV> Synthetic Oil

kcvair at netscape.com kcvair at netscape.com
Mon Oct 2 14:26:45 EDT 2006

I bought a 66 Corsa Cn in 2001 and it was suggested to us Mobil I synthetic, so before I took a trip to the Helen, Ga show about 500 miles each way I change to Mobil I.  After a couple hundred miles I checked the oil level and it was at the add mark, so I added another quart thinking maybe I hadn't put enough in when I changed oil.  I had to add a total of 6 quarts before I got home, the last quart was a regular grade oil because I didn't have anymore Mobil I.  After going through all this oil I decided to go back to a regular 10-w-30 grade and have not had add any oftener than every 500 miles.  I have no idea why it used so much synthetic, but one other person in our club had the same problem with his Corvair.  At the price of the synthetice oil, I'm not sure I want to try it again.  I do use the 5w30 in my Astrovan.  It has 177,000 miles on it and still do not add oil between changes.  I would be reluctant to try something like a synthetic in it.  I'm sure there are success stories of people using synthetic, but I'm not one of them. Ken