<VV> Synthetic Oil

Eric S. Eberhard flash at vicsmba.com
Mon Oct 2 16:28:22 EDT 2006

It is pure nonsense to say the Amsoil "beats them all" -- there is
one critical area that Mobil 1 is far superior to Amsoil -- general
availability, day or night, anywhere in the USA.  Just find a Mobil
gas station which is not very hard.  Some people think Mobil 1 is
better than Amsoil or the reverse based on some scientific tests ...
but they forget that sometimes it is nice when needing that extra
quart to be able to just buy it while filling up.  And most of the
tests indeed show teensy weensy differences.  Other than that, I
agree with the rest particularly the benefits of synthetics in
general.  I have compromised on the service interval thing -- all our
modern cars have two "tracks" -- one very conservative for rough duty
and one with longer intervals for light duty.  So I use the longer
intervals, and if I was using dino oil I would be using the shorter
intervals.  Adding in the cost of 2 filters and 2 oil changes versus
the one with synthetic, it really does not cost a whole lot different.

At 01:17 PM 10/2/2006, you wrote:
>I have run Amsoil synthetic oil in everything I've driven since 1979.
>This includes a vast array of "modern" cars, my Corvair, and my 1958
>Edsel.  I also use synthetic in our outboard motors, snowmobiles, and
>everything else that requires a motor oil.  I have experienced NO
>sudden additional burning of oil, no additional leakage, or any of the
>other evil things that seem to plague a select few.  I am a bit of a
>snythetic oil freak, actually.  Basics facts are:
>
>ANY oil you put in your Corvair today, even the cheapest stuff from the
>local discount house, will be better than anything you could buy when
>your car was new.
>
>ANY synthetic oil will: Reduce operating temps, increase mileage and HP
>(the amount of increase varies due to a million variables, but the
>reduced friction WILL make any engine more effecient), greatly reduce
>internal wear, allow the motor to turn over easier and start better in
>cold weather (a benefit I appreciate when my truck sits outside when
>it's -40). Internally the engine will be cleaner, since about 88% of
>the gunk that builds up in an engine is a byprooduct of petroleum
>cooking,  and my experience has been that the extended service life
>works.  Although I don't drive the Corvair or the Edsel enough in a
>year to bear that out, I've changed once a year in my regular vehicles
>for 27 years with no ill effects. If you go with the extended rain
>intervals (Amsoil is 25m000 miles, which I've done for many years) you
>are dumping about 1/8 as much used oil into the world, and only having
>to bother with a change once a year in stead of several times.
>
>Oh, I know, the diehard 3,000 mile oil changers will never change, and
>if that's your thing that's fine. I kind of amazes me that in
>everything else people seem to embrace new technology when it comes to
>their cars, except in oil. Radial tires. Fuel injection. 100,000 mile
>spark plugs and tune ups (!) computerized ignition, and all the rest,
>but damnit, for some reason people just won't accept that OIL
>technology has improved too.  Oh well. I'm happy with my decision, and
>27 y ears of driving has proven it to me.  And then again, there are
>those who swear by Pennzoil too, the fools!
>
>And, to the real oil freaks, if you compare ALL the specs and tests,
>Amsoil beats them all, sometimes by a teensey bit in some catagories,
>by much more in others. And I've noticed that other brands only publish
>their test marks in the catagories where they shine, Amsoil publishes
>them ALL.
>
>I figure, OK, an Amsoil oil change costs me about $40 with a new
>filter.  A change from the local quick lube place costs about $25 or
>more,  and even if I do it myself, it's gonna be $20 or more with the
>filter. So, for like, an additional $20 a year I'm putting in what I
>believe to be the best.  And if it eliminates wear in my engine, and
>runs cooler when I'm sitting in bumper to bumper traffic at the
> [...]

This email sent by:

Eric S. Eberhard
(928) 567-3727          Voice
(928) 567-6122          Fax

928-301-7537 -- you may call any time day or night, I turn it off
when I sleep :-)  Please try to use a land line first (reception often poor).

Note the change in the domain from vicspdi.com to vicsmba.com !!!!

For Metropolis support and VICS MBA Support!!!!

http://www.vicsmba.com

Completely updated web site of personal pictures with many new
pictures!  Includes horses, dogs, Corvairs, and more.

http://www.vicsmba.com/ourpics/index.html

Corvair pictures including the Judson setup on our 62 Sedan and lots
of pictures of Cheryl's 62 Monza Wagon and our 62 Spyder convertible.

http://www.vicsmba.com/ourpics/corvairs.html

My younger brother Martin has started a very serious car company.  A
hot rod (very fast) electric roadster is the first offering.  The
chassis is built by Lotus to their specs.  Check it
out:  http://www.teslamotors.com