<VV> Oil poured down the rockers

Dennis Dorogi dfamily at cecomet.net
Tue Oct 3 12:11:37 EDT 2006

I live in Chautauqua county about 60 miles from Buffalo in the heart of the
snow belt.  We get twice the snow fall of the Buffalo area.  I have been
using used motor oil on vehicles for over 25 years and,  in my opinion,
there is nothing that is as effective in keeping rust from a vehicle.
However, it does have its disadvantages.  It is very messy and will drip on
the ground for awhile and ideally it should be done every year before
winter.  Working on an oiled vehicle is dirty work; however bolts do come
apart.
      I bought a special spray gun many years ago that was built to spray
heavy bodied liquids.   I treat all my driven vehicles with the oil and the
bodies stay in very good shape.  We drove a 1980 Chevette for 18 years over
200,000 miles  in the worst salt conditions imaginable, and I had two guys
fighting over which one would buy it - the body looked good and had no rust
holes.  My 1974 Econoline has no rust through and the frame looks like it
was made yesterday (just a little dirty and oily).
      I am smart enough not to drive my corvairs in the winter.   They are
too nice for that!    The used oil seeps in to every seam.  It is best to
start using it before serious rust develops so you can build up a nice thick
gooey coating of oil in a few years.  Oil it and drive it on a nice dusty
road to help keep the oil in place.  It only takes a quart or so of oil to
do the entire underneath of a vehicle but I also spray (or pour) it into
doors, or any boxed section on the vehicle.  It certainly will work on your
rockers but will drip for awhile.  This is a case where dirty oil is much
better than clean oil.  An no, I haven't tried synthetic oil yet!