<VV> FC brakes

corvairs lonwall at corvairunderground.com
Tue Oct 3 14:08:30 EDT 2006

      This conversation has gone somewhat beyond what I had meant. On my
rampside automatic the brakes are excellent (25 year old Underground std
linings). My comments about brake fade involved pushing the load rating
far beyond what it was supposed to be (3000 lbs?). Under those
circumstances it's my opinion  that brake fade becomes the first serious
problem even though I think the chassis can handle it.
       Yes you could go with (Ours, Underground!) Kevlar linings etc,
but it would be good to remember that still, if pushed too far, while
brake fade becomes a lesser issue, brake heat and distortion of the
drums takes over. In general it's not safe to drive a 40 year old
vehicle 50% overloaded past it's rated capacity regardless of what you do.
        The FC brakes, especially when rebuilt with quality Underground
parts, are perfectly adequate when the vehicle is used within it's rated
capacities. If you need more, front disc brake kits, Kevlar shoes etc.
give you a greater margin of protection but still won't allow the
vehicle to do the impossible.  Lon

www.corvairunderground.com