[FC] Re: <VV> FC brakes

Paul Steinberg noahsarkinc at earthlink.net
Tue Oct 3 10:00:56 EDT 2006

Rolling friction is greater than sliding friction, so locking up the brakes is a bad thing.  Single master cylinder is a bad thing if you don't service them regularly, but dual master cylinders also fail, one side at a time, if you don't take care of them either.  Changing the brake fluid on a regular schedule is the best way to maintain good brakes.  Every 2 years is considered adequate.  Silicone brake fluid is forever, but doesn't have the ability to handle the heat generated in some situations.  Brakes are "out of sight, out of mind" usually for most people.  You change the oil regularly, but how many people check the brake linings every XX amount of miles or ever year or two?  Also, when was the last time that you checked the brake lines.  Most brake line failures are from the rust on the inside, rather than the rust from the outside.  No way to check for this, but regular brake fluid changes will keep this rust from forming.  Brakes, like all the other mechanical systems on your vehicle should be checked and serviced as needed on a regular basis for dependability.  Anything less is neglect.
Paul in CT