<VV> Pre-Ride Instructions "touch and feel"

Dan & Synde dsjkling at sbcglobal.net
Fri Oct 6 12:24:04 EDT 2006

The whole car show "Look but don't TOUCH" and "Supervised Touch and Feel"
thread got me thinking.  I guess I have what you'd call "Pre-Ride"
instructions if I'm taking someone new in the vehicles anywhere, at least on
the cars I've put alot of blood, sweat and tears into.  The reason being,
some people don't think or don't get it so I have to spell it out to them in
advance.  It may be because they are so excited that all rational thinking
goes out the window.

As Norm Whitte pointed out, I want my investment to last.  For me, the
primary investment is my blood, sweat, tears and secondarily the money.  For
me, it's never been about what someone else thinks about them or thinks
they're worth.  I know what mine are worth to me and that's all that
matters.  Call it anal, call it obssesive but that's just how it is for me.
I don't care if they made a million of them, they only made one of mine and
I virtually built it myself.

Yes, it is an obsession but that doesn't keep me from enjoying them and
using them.  I just don't like abusing them.  I know normal wear and tear
will happen and is to be expected but there are some things that are just
common sense and some things can be prevented.  The problem is, not everyone
knows how much time, money, blood, sweat and tears went into bringing it
back from the grave but I do when it was my hands that did it.  There are
many that just see them as old clunkers or just plain are not thinking.
I've literally had friends or family, who I thought would know better
because they knew me, do things like putting a gritty boot up on a $400 show
bumper while they're talking to you, sit on the hood, engine lid or fender
of a freshly painted car, put feet up on painted surfaces, etc.  I really
don't understand why some people do that?  Another thing that gets me is
someone noticing dust on the car and running their hand through it.  Letting
them know up front how I feel about certain things sets my mind at ease.

Typical pre-ride instructions for newbies usually include the following:

1)  Be careful of the paint, don't lean on it, put your feet on it, rub the
dust off.
2)  Don't drag your feet when climbing in, don't step on the door sill
3)  If you have a drink, hold it, don't set it on the seat or floor
4)  No smoking
5)  No feet on the seats
6)  If you find a hole in the upholstery, resist the urge to put you finger
in it!!  (Kids can't resist, I know I couldn't)
6)  Greenbrier:  What order to close and open the side and rear doors.
Can't believe how many people try to open and close them in reverse.

Explore the car, sit in it, go for a ride even drive it but respect my
investment of blood, sweat and tears

Dan Kling

1961 Greenbrier Deluxe, 4spd, 3.89  On the Road Again,  yeehaw :)
1963 Spyder, restored   4spd Saginaw
1967 Ultravan #299  Newest of the herd!! Almost killed me already!!

http://photos.yahoo.com/duchesskyra
A few pictures of the Greenbrier, UltraVan, engine and tranny tear down with
more to come!
.