<VV> Strange (?) double failure

Frank DuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Sun Oct 8 23:28:29 EDT 2006

He is talking about the taper joint of the ball joint/ knuckle
connection, not the actual ball & socket joint that moves when turning
the steering wheel.

And not that you bought the wrong taper, they are "all" the same when
manufactured ( hopefully!), but one has worn so that now it is not the
correct taper.

The ball & socket  joint of the ball joint can wear out while the taper
joint is still good. It is very rare to wear out a taper joint, usually
due to driving with the taper joint loose. As I stated earlier, I just
replaced a knuckle on a 64 Spyder that had been driven who knows how
long with the taper joint loose and getting looser, but the ball joint
was fine, both on the taper joint and the ball & socket joint. I used
one of those road tested knuckles I have in a pile of crossmembers in
the yard....

Frank DuVal