<VV> Ball Joints

Padgett pp2 at 6007.us
Mon Oct 9 08:33:40 EDT 2006

>I don't fully understand. How do you tighten the studs? They're part of the
>ball joint. Are you saying the ball joint wasn't built properly or perhaps
>has
>  worn out?

The stud is a tapered fit into the steering knuckle. As you tighten it the
stud is wedged into the knuckle. When tightened properly, it takes a pickle
fork or a BFH to break it loose. If turning, it sounds like they were
either never tightened completely or have the wrong taper.

Problem is that if not tightened properly when installed, they may have
been pounding the taper for years.Spec for a '65 is 30-40 lb-ft so just
tighten to about 30, then enough more to install the cotter pin.

Padgett