<VV> Re: Body, Paint & Interior Prices

wblanning at adelphia.net wblanning at adelphia.net
Mon Oct 9 19:54:47 EDT 2006

I just had a '66 Monza coupe repainted in the Petersburg, VA area.  The car had never been wrecked nor had any serious rust.

I removed all the trim, bumpers, weatherstripping, headlight assemblies, etc.  The body guy removed the doors, lids, gas filler door, engine lid latch, stiker plates, door latches, assorted screws/nuts in the jams that are not to be painted, stripped a previous enamel paint job, repaired rust with metal (only 1 rust out spot), door dings (by pulling out with welded on pins), primed and blocked out.

Jams and under the lids were repainted along with the body in base coat/clear coat system.  It is not perfect but it is very nice.  Total body work & painting price came to $3200 with me reinstalling the doors, and all the trim, weatherstripping etc.  (paint shop did install the engine & trunk lids).  Wet sanding and buffing would be additional, but the paint is nice enough that I don't think that was needed.  I got a price at another local restoration quality facilty of $3500.

You can save a lot by doing as much of the the disassembly and reassembly as possible yourself.  I also agree with comments by Norm & others about finding the right place and making sure they know what you expect (possibly in writing).  BTW, my painter recently did a '57 T-bird here in Virginia for a guy that brought it up from Florida.

Wade