<VV>Fan hub bearing

airvair airvair at richnet.net
Tue Oct 10 13:50:50 EDT 2006

Despite what some might tell you, they can go bad within 150 miles or
less. Been there, had it happen. And while mine went from not a peep to
"merely" screaming like a banshee in that short a time, I've known them
to fail so utterly as to destroy the fan after the bearing flew apart.
All I can say is that if it's starting to squeek, then replace it
pronto.

And when you replace it, the best thing you can do is get a cartridge
bearing like American Pi builds for Clark's. They're a little pricy, but
you'll never have to tear the top half of the engine off again just to
replace the stupid bearing. I have a similar "quick-change" bearing, and
it's possible to change it with nothing more than a Philips screwdriver
and a 1/4" drive socket set, and in about 15-20 minutes! No fancy
pullers, no replacing of top cover gaskets, no all-day teardown and
repair, etc. All that grief is obsolete with a cartridge bearing.

-Mark