<VV> EM rear wheel bearing question

Kinzelman, Andy akinzelm at greatnortherncorp.com
Tue Oct 10 14:18:10 EDT 2006

Guys,
A friend of mine bought some new bearings several years back and had them installed on his car.  However, he is afraid that they have gone bad (noises from the back end).  He presumes the old grease in them provided insufficient lubrication.  The car has been parked for about two years as he moved out of state.
We are trying to get the car drivable so he can bring it to his new home.  I drove the car, and didn't notice any bearing problems.  However, to assuage his concerns I pulled the bearings from the axles to clean, inspect, & regrease them.
Upon inspection, these units appear to be ball bearing units; with a plastic cage.  In addition, the outer races are a single part - not separate races. They appear to still allow the axle to swivel, though.

Can anybody shed any light on these units?  I don't think they are Green bearings - but may be wrong.
Thanks,
Andy K.