<VV> '60 differences

Tony Underwood tonyu at roava.net
Tue Oct 10 17:07:30 EDT 2006

At 10:56 hours 10/09/2006, Shaun wrote:
>Hi Bill, you'll find that there are very few parts on a '60 that are the
>same as '61. You name it, it's different. Some will fit either, but a lot
>won't.

Indeed.   Deck lids in front are different.   The front nose
escutcheon is different.   The rear brake backing plates are
different.  On very early '60 models, the front doors/fenders are
different, as is the horn location.    Of course the rear motor mount
brackets are different; '60 Corvairs use a  biscuit mount like the
FCs.   The battery in the '60 is mounted on a bracket-tray on the
passenger side of the engine bay and not in the left rear fender
well, which also made it necessary to put the spare tire in the
trunk.    A variety of other smaller things are different such as
accessory trim and engine bay shroud parts as well as some interior
hardware like the missing heater ductwork etc.   The trunk is shaped
different so as to clear the wedge shaped gas tank (which is also
another '60-only item) and allow that spare tire to lean back and fit
without having to stand on edge and interfere with the front deck
lid.   Headlight buckets and trim are different, also shared with
FCs.  The rear package area behind the back seat is shaped different,
and deeper than later 'Vairs, which made necessary a starter with a
different nose casting which positions the solenoid down below the
top level of the starter so it will clear the lower floor.   Only a
'60 starter will fit a '60 'Vair unless you cut a hole in the rear
floor behind the seat.   This lower floor area in the '60 is also
what prevents the installation of a hot-air heater in a '60 Corvair
since there's no room for the heater blower or duct work etc.   The
differential is different, symmetrically cast so that both the axle
yokes are the same length while '61-'64 'Vairs use a short and long
axle yoke.  The '60 differential thus will hold more gear lube than
the '61-up differentials.   The inner fender structural bracket
arrangements are different front and rear, although you seldom ever
see them unless you cut a fender off a '60 Corvair.   There are a few
other differences in the construction but they're mostly underneath
where they're out of sight out of mind.    I may have missed a few
others but I think I covered most of the obvious ones... outside the
engine itself which also has many differences.

Anyone else may feel free to jump in with other differences so that I
may learn something myself.   ;)

tony..