<VV>Fan hub bearing

Tony Underwood tonyu at roava.net
Wed Oct 11 13:24:17 EDT 2006

At 08:47 hours 10/10/2006, Frank DuVal wrote:

>Tony Underwood wrote:
>
>>At 07:38 hours 10/10/2006, Padgett wrote:
>>
>>>Am told (I can't feel it) that my fan hub bearing is getting
>>>rough. Is this the sort of thing that suddenly scatters parts or
>>>tends to "fail soft", making increasing amounts of noise.
>>>
>>>Need to decide whether to replace before or after an 80 mile excusion.
>>

>>They usually get really bad, loose enough to scrape the fan on the
>>shroud, before they catastrophically fail.    I've had 'em get
>>loose enough to rattle and chatter but none have ever actually come
>>apart.      ...yet.
>>

>>tony..
>
>But I have had the early model (smaller bearing) spit the ball
>bearings at me. When that happens it is close to time to change the bearing!

By the time a bearing gets THAT bad, it should have been changed a
month previous.    Did somebody just turn the radio up louder to hide
the racket the bearing must have been making...?          ;)

By the way:   The engine I took out of my '60 4-door last year still
has its original fan bearing, still quiet as a mouse in church after
almost 200,000 miles and 46 years.   Can't say that about the broken
valve and cracked piston though...

tony..