<VV> EM rear wheel bearings

Tony Underwood tonyu at roava.net
Wed Oct 11 15:51:27 EDT 2006

At 04:29 hours 10/10/2006, Dave Schneider wrote:
>Andy asked about some EM rear wheel bearings. I have posted pictures
>of the two styles on the Milwaukee Corvair Club website. Hopefully
>someone can shed some light on the non factory bearings. Pleas use
>this link to see the pictures:
>
>   http://milwcorvairclub.web.aplus.net/id38.html

First photo, both bearings pictured:

Bearing on left:       GOOD
Bearing on right.    *NOT* GOOD!

Left bearing; two-part outer race, barrel rollers, swivels as the
Almighty intended.   The other bearing described as the Green bearing
won't swivel.   The early Corvair rear wheel bearing MUST swivel or
the suspension will bind up and ruin the bearing in short
order.    It could even flex the bearing shell and cause it to
crack/break and the axle and inner bearing assembly could then exit
the vehicle, not a good thing.

Never use a rear wheel bearing that has only one outer race, and does
not swivel.   Such bearings have two rows of standard bearing balls
which may well be of good quality construction but they're simply
wrong for Corvair applications.

tony..