<VV> Re: the other air cooled chevvy.

Padgett pp2 at 6007.us
Fri Oct 13 00:52:34 EDT 2006

>  Is anyone on the list old enough to shed some light on this engine and
> how it worked?

No but I know whereof you speak. Recently came across an extensive article
and if I can find again will pass it on. Problem was that controls were
crude back then and the first GM air cooled engines were just not reliable
something that was still in the minds of GM top execs in the late 50's. For
more information search on "copper cooled chevrolet"

 From memory & web it was a longitudinal, front mounted upright four cyl of
135 cid and 22 hp @1750 rpm

The idea of the parts and complexity savings possible with air cooling had
always been attractive to the bean counters and a challenge to the
engineers, in aircraft, there were more air cooled engines than liquid
(though the Allison was liquid cooled) but for an airplane the usual air
temperature was on the frigid side and there was no problem with airflow.

However all through GM's corporate life there have been some that looked at
air cooling and went hmmmm.

Padgett