<VV> Timing Gun to plug No. 6

John Kepler jekepler at amplex.net
Fri Oct 20 07:48:47 EDT 2006

-----Original Message-----
From: virtualvairs-bounces at corvair.org
[mailto:virtualvairs-bounces at corvair.org] On Behalf Of Secular
Sent: Friday, October 20, 2006 7:32 AM
To: virtualvairs at corvair.org
Subject: <VV> Timing Gun to plug No. 6

  Hi:

  Could the timing be adjusted [correctly] by attaching the timing gun to
  another plug-wire other than No. 1 ?

  I know....I know -- when setting the dynamic timing on a car, the engine
  must be running at a set rpm, and the _first_ spark plug must fire when
  the crank is at a specific angle before top dead center.

  But, how far off would the timing be if you're aiming for let's say,
18-BTDC
  and the inductive timing gun is clipped to plug Number 6 instead of No. 1

Based on the firing order, using #6 Cylinder, your timing would only be 240
degrees off.....assuming you had something to use as a timing mark!  It'll
work on #2 Cylinder I suppose....but why would you want to do it?  I mean
what's so tough about picking up #1 like you're supposed to that is so much
better picking up #6?  This just doesn't make any sense!

John