<VV> Moving battery to the trunk

vpersh at netzero.com vpersh at netzero.com
Thu Oct 19 19:58:49 EDT 2006

I used the Honda-sized Optima battery and placed in between the headlight bucket and the wheel well on the passenger's side. I fabricated a small bracket from aluminum angle and use a bungee cord to hold it down for now. I routed the battery cable, which I had fabricated at Batteries Plus (about $40) with nice crimped ends, through a hole I drilled as shown in the photo and then along the inside edge of the pinch weld down the right side of the car out of harm's way and routed it across the transaxle to the starter using lots of clamps so it won't wander around. Another #10 hot wire goes from the starter to the "little red thingy" in the engine compartment to power everything else. The ground wire runs from the battery to the body/subframe (if you want to call it that) as you can see in the photo. I ran a couple of extra ground straps from the rear "subframe" to the engine. I found some at my local auto parts store about three times wider than the stock straps.
It starts at the touch of the key and functions very in every way. I really don't loose any truck space. It does make a difference in handling (I only notice it when I'm pushing the envelope) and hasn't cause any semblance of an electrical problem in the nearly two years I had it that way. I can't see any reason not to do it. Go for it!!
Van