<VV> Fuel Pump

Mikeamauro at aol.com Mikeamauro at aol.com
Sat Oct 21 10:28:33 EDT 2006

"...I have had bad luck with Clark's pumps and very bad luck with pumps  from
any other source (I think there are still a lot of those faulty pumps  in
the general commercial system)..."

I've bought innumerable fuel pumps from vendors, and they usually develop  a
leak whereas fuel begins seeping, and then dripping, from between the
diaphragms and the metal sections of the pump. In the past, I would tighten the
screws on top of the pump cover, and the leak world stop for a few weeks...then
come back. I'd keep tightening until, inevitably, the threads in the lower pump
 body would strip...then back to vendor for a replacement, repeat  scenario.

The FIX: Several months ago, instead of sending a pump back to the  vendor, I
disassembled it and installed thread inserts into the bottom  housing,
reassembled, installed, and the pump has been leak free since (now I'm  probably
jinxing myself).

I've told the vendor about the Fix, but never received a  response-- good,
bad, or indifferent.  Anyway, the reworked pump  has been leak free in this
particular vehicle (wife's daily driver  Greenbrier) longer than any other pump
ever has before it. With a few  months to go for a year in service; if it makes
a year, I'll consider the Fix a  Cure.

Mike Mauro
of various Corvairs