<VV> winning... or not

Ken Campbell deltainc at grm.net
Sat Oct 21 13:22:41 EDT 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: <levair at aol.com>
Subject: Re: <VV> Moving battery to the trunk

>    Not to start a new string, but I've discovered over the years that the
distribution of weight is much more important than the total weight.

>   Cures such as anti roll bars, springs, and shocks only begin to help
AFTER the initial turn in.

> Warren
*************
BINGO !
************
 1) LOW
2) CENTERED
************
After literally 100's of thousands of carefully observed laps in our model
cars, with drivers of " Has It" up to and including " Holy Freaking IT "
skill ....  It comes to this:
Low and Centered.
***********
In fact, * Heavy Low and Centered * beats    * Lighter but not so Low and
Centered *,    something that makes for lots of discussion at the pizza hut,
but not much discussion at the trophy presentations.
********
In the past, I have recommended the best race design modifications for an
early 'vair would be ::::   weld a 200 pount cast iron plate directly under
the drivers seat, biasing the median shift to achieve all-up balance, and
then throw away all those heavy springs and shocks... ie, a corvair bodied
go-kart; the car should be so low as to drag on the iron plate the last few
laps. (g)
  I have received some derision and thinly veiled death threats for this
recommendation;; lucky for me my giant but richly deserved ego gets me
through such situations (g).
********
Kars are such fun.
********
While trolling for more flame mail, I might as well mention that over these
mega-laps ( and years ) , I have also derived a 5 minute simple geometric
method to make a sketch of the correct racing line, very handy for a first
time out on a new track.. or if practice time is limited ( when is it
not? ).  With this method, you can actually go out on the track and paint a
( red dot ) in each corner... if you run your inside tire over this dot, you
will be where you should be.  ( This is the racing line, not necessarily the
traffic line with other cars/battering rams ) out there ... (g)...
*******
Interesting observation:   over the years, I no longer offer as much advice
as would be useful to newer guys .... because most racers are sure they are
going to lose anyway; a self-fullfilling attitude; it seems to work well for
them.
( heh heh ).
******
One of my favorite lines from movies ... is the old gunfighter, talking to a
fresh young gunfighter .... " wal son, here is what is going to happen if
you draw thet thar gun .... you will probably get off the first shot or two,
but then I am going to kill you ... because I am a PRO !!  "
applies to car racing also.
********
Hope the above helps somebody... ken campbell, comfortable with my egotism
in Iowuh.