<VV> cylinder to cylinder timing variation

djtcz at comcast.net djtcz at comcast.net
Sat Oct 21 21:52:20 EDT 2006

The pairs of cylinders are separated by 120 degrees as referenced on the crank/damper.  With my light's 60 degree adjustability I'd only be able to read 1 pair at a time.
The 3 or 4 degree difference in sounds like the accuracy of the (toothed wheel ?) Pertronix device in the distributor.
Timing tape might be available to turn a Corvair damper into a degreed damper.
I've used regular non-stretchy masking tape to create timing tape to create multiple TDC marks on dampers.  Circumference / number of cylinders /2.  The distance between marks should be checked, and equal.
How steady is the timing?  Generally each cylinder contgrolled by my points controlled ignitions vary several degrees.  I've come to expect nearly rock-steady timing on electronically controlled ignition.

--
Dan Timberlake

Message: 3