<VV> Re: How a Corvair stands up in a crash

Charles Lee at Proper Pro Per chaz at ProperProPer.com
Tue Oct 24 13:01:27 EDT 2006

I posted the pix of my Corvair on my site, to show that the Corvair is inherently safer that front-engined cars.

The Corvair is safer for three reasons :

The Corvair does not have an engine up front that would cause the car to decelerate more quickly (more G's)

The Corvair has a welded Unibody construction that prevents the "crush zone" from "falling apart" on impact.

The Corvair has its gas tanked nestled behind the front axle where it is very hard to hit in an accident

The Corvair (after 1960 ?) has a rubber tank filler neck joint that prevent sparks.

The welded front quarters make for more expensive front sheet metal repairs for the welding where other cars can be simply bolted onto the car but welded panels are more secure.

Here is a link directly to the image that may not appear on the site.
http://www.foresightsoftware.com/Corvairs/CorsaTbirdCrash_files/image003.jpg

(Please let me know if you were you unable to see the pix on the site at all ?
Most can see it, but I want to find out why ? )

Thanks
Chaz