<VV> Corvair Crash-worthiness

Pete Hoekema Pete.Hoekema at muskegoncc.edu
Tue Oct 24 15:45:44 EDT 2006

I can speak from experience, though many years ago, of the crash
worthiness of the Corvair.

While I was returning home from college classes a woman driving a 1965
Pontiac Bonneville convertible turned left in front of me, coming from
the opposite direction I was travelling. Guess she didn't see my little
'62 Monza coupe. She was cited for failure to yield right-of-way.

Both of us were uninjured, though shaken up a bit.

When they came to clean things up, I drove my somewhat crumpled Corvair
home and her big Bonneville required a wrecker equipped with a dolly.
The entire right-front a-frame of her car was hanging loosely from the
frame.

I know the height difference of our cars and the angle at which we
collided had a lot to do with this result, but I was sold on the safe
design of the Monza then (in 1968) as well as today.

Still, the most effective safety device in any automobile sets just
behind the steering wheel. Stay sober and safe!

Pete Hoekema
1964 Monza 900 Coupe