Fwd: Re: <VV> misfire (technical) solved

Michael Kovacs kovacsmj at sbcglobal.net
Wed Oct 25 15:44:18 EDT 2006

Michael Kovacs <kovacsmj at sbcglobal.net> wrote

  Thanks to Seth and all others for the advice.

  I checked and double checked the distributor cap for carbon tracking/cracks ( it is brand new), the plate, advance cams, rotor for any problem (a brand new Petronis 2), the gear at the bottom of the dist shaft, (the distributor from Dale has only 6k miles).

   Now I get back to the ^%*&% spark plug wires. Like I said before, they are brand new 7mm from reputable supplier. I decided to just replace them with a new Clark's set destined for an other engine. I took a few hours for this labor, but the result is spectacular.

   It starts right up with a satisfying corvair sound from both sides and NO spit sound from the left side. After a 3-4 mile warm up (300 degrees) run on back streets with no hint of misfire, I took it out on the main road for a quick acceleration test. Timing set at about 16 Degrees.

   It pulls to the 5500 line with absolutely no effort and seems to have even more in it, but now is not the time to break it!!

   After hundreds of thousand of miles on Corvairs, ya wooda thunk that I could diagnose a bad spark wire!!

   What really burns me is that I spent 7 months preparing this senior div. Sprint for the 2006 nations and was stymied by 1 bad spark plug wire. I still enjoyed the national taking the '69 convert.

MIKE KOVACS

MIKE KOVACS