<VV> Ory-gun and Arid-zona

Chris & Bill Strickland lechevrier at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 25 16:46:24 EDT 2006

 > It is funny how stereotypes stick to a place.

I think that is why we have the word "stereotypes"

 > Arizona has more pine trees than Oregon

Yep, but I'll bet that Oregon has more Douglas Firs

 > where the population is - also where the jobs are.

funny how that works

Good comments, Seth -- for the geographically disinclined, one needs
note that eastern Oregon, where I was raised, is only partly semi-arid.
On a Corvair related theme, I have a photo /slide of our old 95 van on
the top of Steen Mountain (in eastern Oregon) in July in the snow, about
1975 -- the trip to Oklahoma was aborted when we decided Chris was
feeling poorly because she was pregnant, so we toured around in the
eastern part of the state -- Hat Point, Halfway, Malhuer, Jordon Valley,
Plush, Paisley, Klamath Falls, had a great time with the old van, the
scenery, and a lovely wife.

Anyway, what is called the Oregon Desert is mostly the title of a book
about same -- y'all should read it -- very little desert, just a name
for a region of low rainfall, few jobs with today's timber policies, and
a few people. But it is not all that way, just like that 'other' state
being mentioned -- eastern Oregon is home of the Wallowas and the Blues,
exceedingly picturesque mountain ranges in the northern part of eastern
Oregon, the Wallowa-Whitman Nation Forest with four wilderness areas:
Eagle Cap
<http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/w-w/recreation/wilderness/ecwild.shtml>, Hells
Canyon
<http://www.fs.fed.us/hellscanyon/things_to_see_and_do/hells_canyon_wilderness/index.shtml>,
Monument Rock
<http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/w-w/recreation/wilderness/mrwild.shtml>, and
North Fork John Day
<http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/w-w/recreation/wilderness/nfjdwild.shtml>
Wildernesses, none of which qualify as desert.

When folks traveled west (remember The Oregon Trail) from Missouri, they
were looking for farm land  (not ski areas) to settle, so most came to
the fertile western valleys of the state.  And there we have stayed.

Sure makes me wonder why folks went to Fee-nix, which seems more like an
LA suburb. My daughter is there, but her boyfriend's ex has a young
daughter, and he's her father figure, and went there in the first place
because of work.

Okay, ya got about a nickel's worth of what would be a five dollar tour
if'n I wasn't a wastin' bandwidth here.

Bill Strickland
Native Oregonian