<VV> Re: Wheelz

Padgett pp2 at 6007.us
Fri Oct 27 19:26:46 EDT 2006

Ran some calculations and am now thoroughly confused. Used offsets,
backspaces, treadwidths, tire diameters, and the Monty Pythagorean
theorumumumum to figure the arc that the edge of the tread makes for
different tire sizes and wheels. What I came up with was:
7.00x13 on stock 5.5: LM wheels:  12.8 inches
185x80 on stock wheels                12.6 inches
195x70 on 14 inch wheels*            13.0 inches
205x60 on 15 inch wheels**           12.9 inches
*  American Torq-Thrust D 14x6 3.3/8 BS
** American Torq-Thrust D 15x6 3 5/8 BS
(from AmericanRacing.com)

Given this, the 195/70/14 going to come the closest to the wheel well lip
on a turn but not by that much more than the stock tire.

So I got out the tape and measured the wheelbase: 108.5" on both sides.
That extra half inch would certainly explain why I had trouble with 195x70s
when most find that 205x70s fit just fine. Measured the distance from the
centerline of the wheel to the front lip (that had been "persuaded" a
little) and got 13.2 inches. Centerline to rear of front wheel lip 15.8" hmmmm.

Drives fine and straight, even at high speeds but where did that extra half
inch come from ? Factory tolerance ? Is there that much adjustment
available in the front crossmember ? Yout wants to know.

Padgett