<VV> Restoring Corvairs to a high standard

Jeffharsha at comcast.net Jeffharsha at comcast.net
Fri Oct 27 19:22:21 EDT 2006

I am one of those folks in the process of putting big bucks into the resto-modification of an LM Corvair coupe.  I have always agreed with David E. Davis' view that the LM corvair was perhaps the peak of mid- sixties GM syling. and have admired the smooth flowing lines.  I have had all rust removed, front cowl, fenders, doors removed and replaced with new hand formed steel,  All the stainless trim has been removed, straightened, buffed aand replaced.  All wiring has been replaced as required to make the vehicle as safe and reliable as possible.   Steering has upgraded with a modern rack and pinion (manual) assembly, Front disc brakes with a new dual master cylinder have been added, all seams have been welded and smoothed, extraneous chrome has been removed and any pot metal appendages and filler pieces have been replaced with real steel.

Head and tailights have been frenched into the front panel and  rear cove area, The rear cove molding has been removed and the flat edge of the cove has been reformed to a peak dividing the cove from the rear fenders and engine cover.  The engine cover has likewise been smoothed and a third LED center brake light has been molded in below the center of the rear window.

Front and rear bumpers have been smoothed,  rechromed and remounted without the original gap. All glass has been removed, resealed, tinted and all seals and operating mechanisms have been returned to a like new standard. Power windows were added to the front doors, the fuel filler removed from the  front fender, and relocated to the trunk with the filler cover replace with new steel. Door handles have been shaved with a remote operated servo opening system for the doors and trunk ( with mechnical safety on trunk)  The dash has been completely reformed in steel, welded to the cowl and filled in.   Modern VDO electric sender gauges for fuel, oil pressure, voltage, oil temperature and cylinder head temperature plus a speedometer and tach are set in a new custom display.

A Flaming River stainless steel steering column with tilt and a high end  two spoke mahogany rimmed Steering wheel sits in front of the gauges.  I am still working on the interior, but so far have incorporated black leather seats from a 2005 Mercedes C class coupe  with new seat belts.  I will soon be having the door panels and rear seat upholstered to match.

The car was professionally painted with multi-coats of hand block sanded modern three stage paint and clear coat.  It currently rides on 55 series performance rubber on 15 inch chromed chevy SS wheels.  The engine has received a new custom exhaust with 2 1/2 " chromed and formed outlets molded into the bottom lip of the rear pan.

 I am in the process of deciding what next steps to take in the power department, and I am open to any suggestions folks might have.  The engine and trans are currently stock 140HP and 4-speed pieces.  Whatever I will do, it will continue to be rear engined and air cooled, as I feel that these elements are the essence of a Corvair. I'm heartened to know that there are some other fools out there willing to invest the time and money to restore these great old cars to a high standard.

Once the upholstery is done, I will set up a web page with photos of the completed car.  If anyone would like to see it now, I have a "photo show" created which I can email upon request.  It is nice to know that there are others out there willing to put in the time, effort and financial commitment to restore and upgrade these great and generally overlooked automobiles.  Now if I could just find an insurance company willing to insure it for what its replacement value currently is...but that is another story!