<VV> Franklin (sort of Vair)

J R Read_HML hmlinc at sbcglobal.net
Sat Sep 2 15:26:32 EDT 2006

No, not Ben.

Interesting how things sometimes happen together.  Last night I was at a
local "Cruise In" where I saw a 1927 Franklin.  A solid car with a quiet
running engine and could use a slight face lift - but QUITE SOLID.  Franklin
is an air cooled US made car build from 1902 to 1934.

Today, I received in the mail a flyer from SAE International touting several
interesting looking volumes on automotive history.  One of the books is "The
Franklin Automobile Company" and sells for about $40.00 (less to members).
Anyway, the description includes this line, "..... America's only truly
successful gasoline-powered motor car incorporating an air-cooled engine."

ISBN-10: 0-7680-0221-4, 504 pp., Hardbound 1999
By Sinclair Powell

Since Franklins were luxury cars, perhaps Mr. Sinclair does not consider the
Corvair to be a "motor car" OR does not consider it to have been
"successful"?

Later, JR
Past, present and future posts to Virtual Vairs by this writer are for the
private use of Virtual Vair members only.  Reproduction, including
archiving, outside of the Virtual Vairs is specifically prohibited.  This
prohibition includes any portions of this writer's message which may
have been included in a response message by another VV member.