<VV> FC Control Arm Bushing R&R - 64 Brier- help!

aircooled6 at prodigy.net aircooled6 at prodigy.net
Sun Sep 3 00:03:03 EDT 2006

This looked to be a reasonably straight forward project.  Got the
ball joints loose, Got the shock out, got the spring out.  No damage
to me, which is good!

Now the problem is, I cannot figure out how to get the upper and
lower a-arms off.  Yes, i do have a '61 shop manual.  Unfortunately,
I cannot find it anywhere.  I just had it about 2 weeks ago for
something else, but then the house got cleaned because my parents
were coming to visit and no one recalls where it was put (arrgh)

Im looking at the upper a-arm and I see a couple of 9/16 head bolts
and I can feel the nuts on the back side of the crossmember but I
simply do not see a way to get at them to remove the upper arm.  Is
the "Bar" (I dont know what its called-the bar with the bolts on the
end that the bushings ride on) supposed to come with the a-arm?  I
dont see how to get the a-arm off of that bar, even if its out of the
vehicle, but Im sure its easy!

The bottom bar has two small bolts and one large nut holding it in.
All three came off easily, but the bolt that the large nut went on
appears to be solidly rusted into place and will not release the
bar.  I have put some kroil all over the bolt and am hoping that this
will loosen it.

Im really, really hoping that removal of the whole cross-member is
not the recommended way to get this done.  Oh, please say it aint so!

Meanwhile, can someone walk me thru this or perhaps scan the
appropriate pages of section 3 which will cast some light on this?  I
figured I would be done with at least one side today and Im at a
standstill.  I must replace the upper bushings as they are completely
absent.  Bits and pieces of the rubber are all that remain.

HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLPPPPPPP
PPPPPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Everett Wilson
North Richland Hills TX
64 Greenbrier - The Victim of worn out bushings.
67 500 4dr - also out of service at the moment-awaiting front wheel
cylinders