<VV> Backporch Porsche

jwcorvair at aol.com jwcorvair at aol.com
Sun Sep 3 12:39:25 EDT 2006

A friend recently gave me a few early Communiques the other day and I started reading them. In Volume 1, Number 9 from May 1979 was an article by Guy Webster about how he installed a Corvair engine in a 1960 red Porsche convertible D. Apparently the Porsche had been rear-ended, which also must have forced the Porsche into the car in front of it because it had some slight front-end damage. Guy bought the car for $75 (try that today with any Porsche), fixed the rear-end damage somewhat, installed a gravel screen formed in the general shape of the Porsche body at the rear, installed VW bug taillights, and then installed a 65 110 engine onto the transaxel in which he had flopped the ring and pinion gear. He wrote in the article that good VW engines were going for between $350 and $450. He bought the Corvair engine with battery for $120.

Does anyone know of this car and what might have happened to it? At the time Guy and his family lived in the Madison, Wisconsin area (I think). I'm just curious about the car.

Regards,
Joe White (62 Sedan, 66 Porvair)
CORSA, RMC