<VV> (VV) Re: An engine over heating question

Robert Paul barnaby at shaw.ca
Mon Sep 4 00:35:25 EDT 2006

I always see the odd Corvair in the bush,  I am going to look at one a second time on Tuesday, 1965, Corsa 2dht 140 4spd...not running.  In fact I think it has not run since 1982 last registartion paper in the glove box.  I can't ask the owner, he just passed away and nobody around here even knew he had the car, he had too many in the back fourty. I know it is not seized up, but I think the last owner blew off the fan belt and ran it so hot that it may have warped the block..the dipstick was binding when I took it out to see it there was oil - oil was full- there was a baked on black varnish over the inside of the engine, like an over heat, but the engine compartment insulation was dirty but not burnt, so no fire anyway.  The old fan belt was still there, but someone had cut out much of the wiring. Other than that it looks resotorable...if you have a good immagination. My question is if I am correct and the engine was seriously overheated, but not siezed, is it resorable, or
would it make a super boat anchor?  If I'm wrong any other explinations?
Thanks
Robert Paul