<VV> RE: backup generator (no Corvair)

LonzoVair at aol.com LonzoVair at aol.com
Mon Sep 4 10:15:59 EDT 2006

In a message dated 9/4/2006 9:43:35 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
srmarti at netzero.net writes:

The  Koehler engine in the Guardian is air cooled.  No reason in  principle
why a vair engine wouldn't work.  It's quite a bit  bigger.  Key challenge
would be setting up the control systems for  start up, shutdown, speed
governing, engine protection,  etc.

I can remember seeing the old Willys flat head four cylinder engines that
were attached to the "emergency generators" we had at Ft Dix back in the mid
1980s... they were supposed to be "mothballed", but I went out one  saturday
morning and started one up, just for S&Gs... there were 3 of  them, but they
hadn't been used in ages... just cranked over once in a  while...
I'd love to find an old military surplus generator like that... for the  life
of me I can't remember what kW they put out, but it HAS been 20  years...
Later,
Lonzo

Lon Anderson  in White Mills, KY
CORSA, Corvanatics, Derby City Corvair, Central Ky  Corvair
Quart Low Quarterly Editor
1961 Greenbrier 110/pg
1963  Greenbrier 110/4spd
1964 700 sedan 95/pg