<VV> Gutting the passenger compartment

Andy Clark slowboat at mindspring.com
Mon Sep 4 14:44:38 EDT 2006

Connie, I use a little trick shown to me by a body and paint man.
To avoid the dreaded POR15 in the can lip and the subsequent permanent
sealing of the can (do not ask me how I know about this), do the following:
         get a couple of short #8 self tapping screws and a couple of #8
sealing washers (the rubber kind with the metal backing washer commonly used
to fasten metal roofs down). Punch 2 holes in opposite sides of the paint
can, either in the SIDE of the can at the top, or in the lid, and then seal
the holes with the screws (the holes in the side pour better). When you need
some paint, remove the screws and decant a small amount into another
container. Put the screws back immediately. They will always come out again,
even if a little POR15 gets under them.
This method ensures that you will always be able to unseal the can, limits
the amount of air and water vapor that gets inside (I think I was told once
that POR15 is a moisture-cured product), reduces the chances of getting any
of this stuff on you or your clothes, and makes the paint last almost down
to the last drop. This works so well for me that I use this method for all
automotive-type paint that is used only a little at a time.
Andy Clark
1966 140/4 Monza Sedan
1966 140/4 Yenko Clone
1966 180/4 Cord 8/10 #60