<VV> LM front suspension

Andy Clark slowboat at mindspring.com
Wed Sep 6 19:09:09 EDT 2006

If you rebuilt the front suspension, I assume you replaced the sway bar
bushings, and that the shocks are free to compress.
When I did the last one, in turned out that the lower sway bar bushings were
slightly oversize on the O. D. (or maybe undersize on the I. D.), so when I
tightened the lower clamps as they had been pre rebuild (i.e., both ears of
the clamps touching each other), the clamps squeezed the sway bar too
tightly and effectively locked the suspension. One would not expect that
they could clamp up so tightly, but they did. I had absolutely no front
suspension movement. I didn't think to check before installing the bushings,
as I had done several replacements over the years and had never had a
problem.
Fortunately it was a simple matter of loosening said clamps and getting a
little rubber lube between the bushing and the sway bar. Good to go.
BTW, if any members of the group powder coat the front sway bar, be sure to
mask off the area where the bushings clamp, or you'll have the same problem
(ask me how I know this...go on...ask
Andy Clark
1966 140/4 Monza Sedan
1966 140/4 Yenko Clone