Fwd: <VV> engine knock

HallGrenn at aol.com HallGrenn at aol.com
Thu Sep 7 11:25:42 EDT 2006

In a message dated 9/6/2006 10:26:19 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
dfamily at cecomet.net writes:

> The engine seems to run and idle OK but it also has no oil pressure showing
> on the guage but I think that is a wiring, sender, or guage problem as he
> drove it over 40 miles to get here and it is still going.

He might not get it 40 miles back...  I'd take off the top engine cover to
check the rotating parts first.  If no obvious shiny places show, if the rods
have the correct caps etc and the rod journals don't look as if something has
overheated (and if a head stud isn't intruding--good call Tim) then I'd look to
other parts of the rotational mass in the clutch bellhousing area.  I was
asked to "fix" a knocking engine once that ran fine except for the knock and it
turned out to be caused by the washer under the bolt mentioned earlier by DP.

Bob Hall
Group Corvair
'64 Brier
'65 Corsa