<VV> Ignition Questions

Bob & Kathy Gilbert bgilbert at redshift.bc.ca
Thu Sep 7 13:28:21 EDT 2006

Hi,

My recollection of my LM ignition system is that the coil gets 12 volt with
the solenoid on (key in Start position) and then it gets some reduced
voltage (key in the On position) as coil voltage is supplied through a wire
with a built in resistor.

1) Does anybody know what the value of the resistance is and/or what the
normal running voltage at the coil should be?

2) Why was this done? Why not simply feed the 12 volt battery voltage to the
coil at all times?

3) Non-Corvair question - was all of the above common practice for North
American cars of that era? (I'm trying to diagnose a non-Corvair motor
problem)

Thanks,

Bob

66 180 convertible