<VV> Homeowner Association Rules

Mark Noakes mark at noakes.com
Thu Sep 7 22:33:03 EDT 2006

Totally agreed on looking over the rules before you buy into something; however in my case the "rules" have changed with the cultural change away from working on your own cars.  I was one of the first to move into my neighborhood about 20 years ago.  At the time the car rules were taken to mean no cars on blocks in the yard, but they have been reinterpreted several times to the point where they then meant no nonworking vehicles in the driveway to where they are now getting to mean no working on cars in the driveway.  Same words in the document but totally different interpretation.  It is still ok to hide nonworking cars in your garage and work on them...I've always been careful not to make noise in the off hours.  Years ago I moved my Lakewood and my 58 Chevy Suburban to my brother's mini-farm...which also very much slowed progress restoration-wise since his farm is so far away.  My brother has a 40 by 60 shop with additional covered storage space.

I've learned my lesson; the only way to really do this (have project vehicles) is live somewhere where you have agricultural zoning.  Either that or build  an addition with extra garage space...no unattached outbuildings allowed...actually seriously considering that addition.

Mark Noakes