<VV> Gas Mileage

FrankCB at aol.com FrankCB at aol.com
Fri Sep 8 10:38:09 EDT 2006

In a message dated 9/8/2006 3:01:18 AM Eastern Standard Time,
brentcovey at hotmail.com writes:

This is  on 1970's-1980's fuels, I would expect them to drop ~15% in areas
using  heavily oxygenated fuels today.

Brent,
    Since our gasoline is changing to 10% ethanol,  you're correct that there
would be a drop in fuel mileage from the lower energy  value of ethanol
compared to straight gasoline.  However, ethanol has about  70% of the heating
value of gasoline so with 10% ethanol in the fuel, the  OVERALL heating value
would be expected to drop only about 3%.  Likewise,  while the octane rating of
ethanol is a good bit higher than gasoline, with only  10% in the fuel, the
increase in octane rating is not really significant.
    Frank "crunching numbers"  Burkhard