Fwd: <VV> Blowby sanity check

HallGrenn at aol.com HallGrenn at aol.com
Sat Sep 9 10:27:49 EDT 2006

In a message dated 9/8/2006 11:21:15 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
bryan at skiblack.com writes:

Symptom  is smoke out the vent tube at idle, blue in color, goes to a
strong blue  smokestack (I mean a *LOT*, makes your eyes water) when I
rev it and I get  oil out the dipstick tube.  Other than that it runs
pretty well - and  no smoke out the tailpipe.

No smoke at the tailpipe sounds promising.  I'm just a by the  manual-keep it
stock mechanic so I recommend taking off the top engine cover and  cleaning
everything to be sure you have minimum crankcase pressure.  It  really sounds
as if you have inadequate venting from the  crankcase.  There will be a lot of
gunk--condensed blowby crud etc so after  you loosen all the top cover bolts
so they are above the surface, just tap the  blower bearing with a rubber
mallet until the cover pops loose.  Then, with  shop vac at hand, remove the bolts
and lift the cover straight  off and vacuum up any crud that drops onto the
rods etc.  After you have  ensured that the steel cover is completely clean and
that the vent tubes are  fully open (tougher than it should be) reassemble the
engine (you have an inch  pound torque wrench by now) and see how it runs.

Other members have much more experience in engine rebuilding and  performance
updates, but this has worked for me--on some really gunked up  engines.

Best of luck.

Bob Hall
Group Corvair
'64 Brier