<VV> Blowby sanity check

TimogensTurbo at aol.com TimogensTurbo at aol.com
Sat Sep 9 16:31:57 EDT 2006

In a message dated 9/9/2006 1:12:47 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
HallGrenn at aol.com writes:

> And it doesn't have any blue smoke out the tail pipe?  Even with low
> compression you'll still have a smoky exhaust from the damaged rings.
>
> Bob Hall

No...OIL CONTROL rings keep oil from being sucked UP into the cylinders...

Top piston ring is the TRUE compression  holder

Second ring is called the WIPER....it holds compression and wipes oil back
down the cylinder walls...

Oil Rings [ oil control ] allow a certain amount past to keep the cylinders
lubed....

So.....you can have tremendous blowby but a clean exhaust in a FRESH
engine......

Normally we only see oil smoke / blowby on older  high mile engines.....OR

A good condition engine....breaks a skirt on one side.....that oil ring[s] no
longer function and that cylinder will Burn oil, cause smokey exhaust..but
not necessarily any large amount of blowby...

Matt Nall
stocker, mod, v8, turbo, boat, Sandcar
ALLVAIR!
Timogen was a softy!