<VV> Re: Dieseling !

Jim Burkhard burkhard at rochester.rr.com
Sun Sep 10 05:48:15 EDT 2006

Nah!  I disagree completely. Sure, an overly high idle speed will
exasperate the problem, but Corvair carbs will continue to "feed it
fuel" even at minimum air -- that's what an idle circuit does!  The
fact of the matter is that the engine won't continue to run without
*some sort* of ignition source. After you've switched off the key, any
remaining ignition sources are by definition ABNORMAL. Getting rid of
those are what you need to do and anything else like purposely
stalling the engine by popping the clutch or dropping into D are
pretty crude stopgap measures that make you look pretty silly in every
parking lot.

The first step is to use the recommended octane fuel. Unless you have
an 80,84, or 95 hp engine, this means Premium.  If you are at
sealevel, this generally means 93+, not a midgrade 89 or 91.  If you
are putting the best "normal" premium (i.e. not racing gas) in the
engine and it is still dieseling, you could try some of the things Bob
Helt suggests.  Note, making sure the idle speed is properly set is
one of these. A high idle speed will definitely make the problem worse.

Jim Burkhard
CORSA