<VV> engine noise

Roger Gault r.gault at sbcglobal.net
Mon Sep 11 21:19:23 EDT 2006

Lonny,
Any thing is possible, but I doubt seriously that you bent a rod if the only
piston damage was a small crescent on the top.

Did the valve seat come apart, or just out of the head.  If it broke, you
might have a piece mushed into the head or piston in the squish area.  It
could be in any cylinder on that side.

Or, if one of the studs turned when you put the head back on, you might have
screwed the stud in far enough to have it hit the crank.  There's not much
clearance there.  Only half the studs can cause this problem.  If you sit on
the ground looking at the side of the engine, it's the studs on the right
side of each cylinder.  The ones on the left go into the bearing webs and
are not close to the rod cap when it comes around.

I'd pull the plugs and rotate the engine by hand to see if I could feel the
bind.  Maybe you can tell where it is from where the bind is.  If it's right
at TDC for one of the cylinders, you probably have something in the
cylinder.

If that doesn't bear fruit, you might try running the engine and reaching in
and touching the tops of the studs to see if you can feel a shock when the
rod cap hits.  Obviously you have to be a contortionist to do this, and will
have to have the valve cover off to touch the lower ones.

Otherwise, one of the smarter guys here will have to help.

Good luck,
  Roger