Fwd: <VV> Re: FUEL SYSTEM NO NO

HallGrenn at aol.com HallGrenn at aol.com
Tue Sep 12 12:32:26 EDT 2006

In a message dated 9/11/2006 8:20:09 PM Eastern Daylight Time, N2VZD at aol.com
writes:

> please do not blow air thru  your fuel systen against the direction of
> normal
> flow...unless it is just thru the fuel line before the pumps!  it will
> damage
> the valves in the pump or at least blow the "sock" filter off the sender.
> then later on the crud will really move forward. it is still always better
> blow from tank forward...carefully. if blowing is going to fix or help
> anything
> low pressure in the filler while holding a rag around the blowgun will give
> you
> plenty of pressure.
> let common sense prevail....
> regards , tim colson

I agree with Tim.  Recently a good mechanic was trying to find a blockage in
one of my car's fuel lines by blowing out the lines with compressed air.  He
didn't know that I had already checked the lines.  He showed me a blownout
crack in the fuel line from the rear wheel well to the fuel pump.  The assumption
was that water had gotten into the line somehow and frozen thus expanding and
cracking the line.  I didn't buy it at the time but he was sincere and very
careful with the rest of his work and he may have been right so there was no
point is discussing it further.  Everything has been repaired now--his work and
mine and the car runs fine.  But Tim's comment is right on--it's a low pressure
system and pressurizing the tank works most safely.  If the lines are out of
the car compressed air is fine, but not on a complete system.

Bob Hall
Group Corvair
'64 Brier
'65 Corsa