EV1, was: <VV> GM Car of the Future

airvair airvair at richnet.net
Wed Sep 13 09:03:47 EDT 2006

I second that. At the time, I even thought of having a friend in CA
"buy" one and have it shipped back to Ohio. Wouldn't that have been a
hoot!

BTW did you ever see the EV1 based 4seaters? At the Detroit auto show
one year they displayed about 5 of them, each with a different type of
experimental drive train in them. Personally, I think that had they
produced the EV1 as a 4seater, not only would it have been more
practical (increased passengers = more potential market, not to mention
a longer space for a bigger battery pack) but it would have been better
looking, too. Those 4seaters were really stunning looking.

I STILL maintain that the whole program was intended to fail, despite
all the recent bleatings to the contrary by GM and those who worked on
it. Look at the facts: 1)it was a TWO seater, which automatically limits
its market, 2)extremely limited availability area, and 3)it was a RENTAL
arrangement, despite GM's labeling it as a "lease" program (because
"lease" means "rent with OPTION to  buy" of which there wasn't that
option). Nope, with those limitations, you have to be blind not to see
that it was intended to fail.

-Mark