<VV> GM Car of the Future (No Corvair)

Bill Elliott corvair at fnader.com
Wed Sep 13 11:17:28 EDT 2006

 The majority of folks currently driving hybrids WANT the attention and
are drawn to the "different" look of the cars.

I recently test drove a Honda Civic Hybrid.. it actually drove very
well... and except for the little gauge on the cluster there was no
obvious hint that it was hybrid (in appearance or in driving).
Consequently (per the Honda sales rep) it's not selling well at all...
the earlier (and highly impractical Insight) selling much better... as
is the Prius (which looks nothing like its conventional stablemate....
and the Prius is still selling like hotcakes.)

Maybe those oil companies are being environmentally sensitive... because
if you consider the entire lifecycle of the vehicle, many small
conventional SUV's would be an ecologically more responsible purchase
than most of today's hybrids...  even Consumer Reports (not quite a
capitalist-friendly organization) recommends against purchasing hybrids
(not because of the negative environment aspects, but because the don't
make sense economically.)

The young lady that I was helping shop for a car ended up with a
conventional Civic... at a considerable savings over the Hybrid...  a
savings that will only grow over the lifetime of the car.

Bill